Elephants are without a doubt on our planet. They are humans with their intelligent behaviour and their dignity, but ...
Did you know:
1) The largest recorded elephant weighed about 24,000 pounds (almost 11 tons) and was 13 feet (almost 4 meters) tall!
2) Elephants can hear each other up to 5 miles (8 km) away. They communicate with each other frequently. While we can hypothesize what they are saying, we will never truly know these secrets.
3) Elephants can get sunburnt, just like humans. Their skin is very sensitive, and they use sand and mud to protect themselves, just like we use sunblock.
4) Elephants use and manufacture simple tools. These include logs to neutralize electric fences, rocks and sticks as weapons and leafy branches as fly switches.
5) Elephants are so emotionally sensitive that they have passed away. When "Elephant Whisperer" Lawrence Anthony died, a herd of wild elephants arrived at his house to mourn him.
6) Elephant moms are pregnant for 22 months! Even so, their babies are born with comparative few survival instincts and are taught by their family how to survive in the wild.
When travelling to Southern Africa, one can see elephants in all the beautiful reserves. When you have the privilege of seeing these wonderful creatures, perhaps keep these fantastic facts in mind.