For all those of you who are looking to pass by the beautiful country of Eswatini, often known better as Swaziland, here are some fun facts about this little African gem that may tempt you to take a look inside:
- Swaziland is the smallest country in all of Africa. It is even slightly smaller than the state of Massachusetts! However, it has varied flora and fauna that inhabits its surprisingly diverse landscapes.
- It is currently the only African country that is not practicing a multiparty democracy. Swaziland is one of the world's last remaining absolute monarchies. It is in fact a diarchy, ruled by a King and Queen mother.
- Once a year, a fertility festival and reed dance, called “umhlanga”, gets held in Swaziland. During the festival, thousands of unmarried girls throughout the kingdom dress in intricate costumes. Here they sing and dance all week before the Queen Mother, also giving the King an opportunity to be able to choose a new wife.
- Swaziland has 2 capital cities. Mbabne, which is the officially recognized capital and Lobamba, which is the royal and legislative capital.
- The mountains in Malolotja Nature Reserve are about 3.6 billion years old. This places them among the oldest in the world! They have spectacular peaks and provide fantastic background to the wild life in the country.
- Swaziland game rangers are allowed to shoot to kill anyone that is suspected of poaching, and are immune from prosecution when doing so. With Swaziland being entirely land-locked by South Africa, their borders are more easily defended against poachers, and their wildlife is thriving.
- There are 507 known bird species in the Kingdom, this includes 11 globally threatened bird species as well as 4 introduced species. 107 indigenous mammal species are also found in this lovely country, this includes the much endangered Black rhino.
When next in Southern Africa, or perhaps just looking for a unique experience in an ancient land, let us include Eswatini (Swaziland) in your itinerary. More & More Africa, let us inspire your dreams.